Saturday, April 16, 2011

State of the Blog: April, 2011

          As some of you may have noticed, I've been falling off a lot here. The first few entries are really my strongest work, and as I've gone on, the reviews have seesawed in quality. Some have been good, some have been bad. The truth is, the longer it's gone on, the more it's felt like I'm essentially smashing my head into a wall. Keeping this schedule has meant I don't finish books as much as I used to, all my reading is going to this instead of the occasional book or two for pleasure, I sometimes have to scramble or half-ass things, and every time I put up a note like this about how my personal life is getting in the way or apologizing for missing the deadline or whatnot, I feel like crap. First because I'm letting you guys down, and second because I'm essentially coming up short. 


         BUT! I am not going to stop this. I like the blog, I like interacting with you-- all the people I've commented with or talked with have turned out to be really cool people-- and most importantly, I like doing this. It's a nice way to turn people on to stuff that I don't think many have read. Even better, it's a way for me to figure out what I like and don't like, what works and doesn't work for me in writing, so that when I write my own stuff, I have things I can fall back on. Book reviews may be done once every two weeks, or sometimes once a month, but they will be done. As many and as fast as I can get them out. I'll also hold up my promise to you: Every book on this site will be one I read all the way through. I won't stop halfway, I won't give any more impressions on a series I've only finished a little of...I'll just be taking things a little slower until I figure out a schedule that definitely works.


       I hate saying this, because I've tried to keep things on an even and regular schedule, and I'm usually the first person to say that people like me-- that is, people who do this sort of thing with an audience-- are in some way entitled to their readers and fans, but once a week isn't working. Longer books get rushed, my focus tends to be on shorter books that I'm able to read within the time period, and I don't feel like that's fair to anyone. So I hope you'll all keep with me as I welcome in a more relaxed but still just as edgy, quirky, and weird version of Geek Rage!


Caius.

No comments:

Post a Comment